Very decorative scented candle with the modern smoky scent of Us by Neandertal.
The scent of this scented candle has herbs and plants native to the natural environment that have been used throughout history in ceremonies, medicine, culinary, and perfumery.
This is the smokiest fragrance in the Neandertal collection. This is due to the smoky nature of vetiver. Sandalwood, oudh, and musk give this fragrance a feeling of safety and security. Lemon, eucalyptus, and geranium give the smoky character a lift.
Each porcelain bowl is handmade by founder and artist Kentaro Yamada and filled with high-quality wax from the South of France.
The candle weighs 375 grams, which is more than 80 burning hours under optimal burning conditions. For tips on burning scented candles, see below.
Candle dimensions: H 8cm x W 14cm x L 14 cm
bergamot, orange, elemi, pink pepper, eucalyptus, rose cardamom, frankincense, geranium, vetiver, hyraceum, labdanum, myrrh, cypriol, cade, oud, tree moss, sandalwood, musk
Design: Kentaro Yamada & Campbell Melrose-Allen
Perfumer: Euan McCall
Product photos: Charlie McKay
Burning scented candles
How do you burn a scented candle?
- The first time you burn the candle until the top layer of wax has melted, this activates the wax and saturates the wick with the scented wax.
- It is better not to burn a scented candle for more than 2 - 3 hours. The melted wax continues to smell for a long time even after blowing out. Next to that, too high temperatures can be detrimental to the quality of the scent.
- Every time you light the candle, let the candle burn until the top of the wax has completely melted.
- After blowing out, place the wick back in the middle of the candle, this prevents an irregular melting pattern.
- Check before lighting whether the wick is not too long, a wick of 5 mm is optimal. This prevents fumes and soot formation.
Neandertal was founded by the Japanese artist Kentaro Yamada in 2018. His love for design makes this unique brand a strong visual character, which is reflected in the powerful design language of the brand. Yamada started a creative collaboration with perfumers and together they research how perfumes can make the echoes of our past tangible. The results are contemporary, highly original, and experimental fragrance structures, free from conventional and traditional perfume standards.
In Dark and Light (2018) we see an exploration into the scented world that surrounded our Neandertal ancestors. The presentation in the beautifully handcrafted porcelain flasks shows Yamada's background as a sculpture and is a reference to prehistoric flint axes from Norfolk, England. Each bottle is equipped with an NFC chip, numbered, and can be traced with the Neandertal app.
Us en Them (2020) explores the tension between different cultures and is presented in sculptural 3D printed glass bottles. Them is also available as a scented candle, in a very decorative handmade porcelain holder.
When ordered before 3 pm, we will send your parcel the same day (if in stock).
Due to holiday season peaks delivery times might be longer that expected. We apologize for the delay.
We ship perfumes worldwide to more than 80 countries.For all shipping rates see our shipping and delivery page.
- Free delivery for orders above € 50 (normal rate € 4.50)
- Free evening delivery for orders above € 75 (normal rate € 5.50)
- Same Day Delivery in Amsterdam with bike courier: € 8.50 (order before 12 noon)
- 3-5 samples: € 4.10 (PostNL incl. track & trace)
- 1-2 sample: € 2.95 (PostNL no track & trace)
- Free delivery for all orders above € 95
- Normal rate: € 6.95
- 2-5 samples: € 8.90 (incl. track & trace)
- 1 sample: € 2 (no track & trace)